Spray Tanning Tips For Your Customers
It’s vital to give clients the best possible experience when tanning and one of the easiest ways to do that is by giving them the right tips to help them properly prepare for their spray tan.
Preparing Skin and Nails
Tanning solution can stain nails so it’s a good idea to advise your customers to have nail polish on before a tan. Even a clear coat will protect them from staining and will keep their natural colour safe. It’s also important for customers to prepare their skin before their tanning session – and that includes waxing and threading. Customers should get a wax or threading a day or two before their tan if they are planning to get one. This way there won’t be any uneven coloration from differing skin textures. Waxing is also a great way to exfoliate the skin.
Clients should not wear any makeup or lotion on the skin to the appointment. This can interfere with how the tanning solution sticks to the skin and can create results that are less than perfect. Provide makeup remover wipes in your salon or mobile tanning station to help clients remove any makeup they may be wearing.
Preparing First Timers
Be sure to let first time clients know what to expect when getting a spray tan and how to prepare their skin for best results:
- Customers should exfoliate and moisturize 24 hours before they arrive for their appointment, paying particular attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas.
- They should also wax or shave at least 48 hours prior to treatment. This allows the pores time to close. Dotting in pores may appear if not adhered to.
- For the entire 24 hours before their appointment, they should avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products, oil based products or in-shower moisturizers. These products may act as a barrier against your skin and can prevent the fast acting tanning agents to develop
- Moisturiser, perfume, deodorant or makeup should not be applied on the day of application.
The skin will feel a little sticky to the tough at first while it develops. Clients should avoid touching their skin to reduce the risk of smudging.
Immediate After Care Tips
All clients should avoid hot showers, working out, or swimming for 8-10 hours after the tan (unless using an express tan solution, in which case this can be shorter) to allow time for it to develop. The tan will continue to darken until the first shower is taken.
- They should wear dark loose clothing and loose fitting shoes after their appointment with you; tight clothing or underwear may cause marks.
- Advise clients to shower lightly in cold – lukewarm water for 45 seconds ONLY after their desired development time. Use plain water, don’t use shower gels, scrubs, shampoos or loofah during the first 24 hours after treatment.
- Advise clients to pat their skin dry ensuring they do not rub or scrub their skin.
- Instruct your clients to moisturize everyday after their spray tan to ensure the color lasts longer and fades away evenly. Offering customers gradual tan moisturisers as a part of your salon retail offering is a great idea so the tan is continually being topped up and your tan lasts longer.
- After day 5, exfoliate with a soft body polish on a daily basis, to help your skin absorb even more moisturizer and keep it looking and feeling gorgeous. This also helps the tan fade naturally, rather than in patches.
The best thing is, MineTan’s done all the hard work for you and offer Client Brochures with all of these key tips and details for their spray tan experience for you to simply hand out.
Ensuring you provide your clients with all relevant information for the perfect tan will mean that your customers rely on your advice and will walk away with perfect results that will keep them coming back for more!