Tired of spending time and money on salon spray tans, but love them too much to give up? You’ll be thrilled to hear that you can achieve the same look at home on any budget. Now that DIY products from high-end brands and affordable professional equipment are available online, everything you need to create a flawless spray tan is at your fingertips. Armed with the right products and the step-by-step directions below, you can learn how to do an at home spray tan that looks just as beautiful as the colour you get from your favourite salon.
What You’ll Need
To recreate professional-quality colour with an at home spray tan, put the following products on your shopping list.
- Tanning Equipment. While buying a professional tanning machine isn’t necessary to do an at home spray tan, it’s a worthwhile investment if you plan to spray tan on a regular basis. Spray cans from premium brands work well, but spray guns will almost always deliver superior results because they’re specifically made for professional airbrush artists.
- Tanning Tent. If you’re a serial spray tanner, a pop-up tent will make your life a lot easier. Constructed with lightweight materials and foldable wire frames, pop-up tents trap excess spray and make clean-up time a breeze. You can use yours in any room without being afraid of making a mess or ruining your furniture.
- Beauty Products. To get the best results, always use tanning solutions from premium brands. For prepping your skin and colour maintenance, add exfoliators, tanning mitts, moisturisers and tan extenders to your product collection.
How to Get a Professional Spray Tan at Home
- Exfoliate the day before spray tanning. Exfoliators remove colour-blocking dirt and dead skin cells for even coverage. Because oils can leave a sticky film on top of your skin, stick to oil-free cleansers.
- Right before spraying your skin, remove makeup and deodorant. For a mess-free application, pull your hair back in a tie or a hair net. If you’re not using a pop-up tent, apply the tan in your bathroom. Since you need to check your body for missed areas as you go, always spray tan in front of a full-length mirror.
- Follow the product’s directions to apply the solution correctly. Spray from your legs and up to your neck to avoid creating tan lines from bending over. Go lighter on your feet, ankles, elbows and any other areas where a tan would look unnatural. Finish the application by lightly misting your face section by section.
- After your skin is completely dry, wear loose-fitting clothes until your next shower to avoid rubbing off your fresh colour.