While the average lifespan of a fake tan is somewhere between five and 10 days, there is no precise guide for exactly how long your tan will last. Your skin-care routine, the quality of your tanner and the weather all have a big effect on how quickly your colour fades. The truth is that you need to be proactive if you want to extend the lifespan of your tan. From polishing your skin before application to using tan enhancers at the first sign of fading, taking care of your skin and your colour on a daily basis can help you get better results and prolong your tan considerably.
How to Make Your Fake Tan Last Longer
- Exfoliate your skin before tanning to remove dead skin cells and dirt. Turning your skin into a perfectly primed canvas leads to a deeper, more even and longer-lasting colour.
- After your spray tan is done, wait 10 minutes before you get dressed to make sure that your skin is fully dry. Wear breathable, loose fabrics to protect both your tan your clothes.
- Avoid moisture for at least eight hours after you spray tan. Showering can wash off most of your colour before it even develops, so you really want to get it done before your spray tan appointment. Try to avoid excessive sweating as well. Because sweating causes drops of moisture to roll down your skin, it can dry into streaks and other visible discolourations.
- When you do shower, pat your skin dry with a soft towel to avoid rubbing off your colour. Apply a hydrating moisturiser after you shower to lock in moisture and form a protective barrier on top of your tan.
- Keep your fake tan fresh with gradual tanning lotions. Gradual tanners are used for creating subtle colour, so they work well for maintaining a fading spray tan. For healthier skin, use a gradual tanning lotion that doubles as a moisturiser. Try Mine Tan’s two-in-one gradual tan extender and moisturiser to deepen a fading tan and soothe your skin with 24 hours of hydration.
- Avoid cleansers that can strip your colour faster. Replace body scrubs and exfoliators with natural soap until you are ready to wash off your tan completely.
- Use bronzing powder, skin illuminators and instant tanners when you want to boost your tan’s intensity or cover signs of fading.
Because mistakes can happen, extending your colour is not always what you want after a spray tan. When your colour develops into an unnatural shade of orange, lighten it with exfoliators and tan removers. With its powerful microfibre surface, Mine Tan’s exfoliating mitt is a quick solution to any tanning mishap. Sweep it over your body in the shower to lift even the most stubborn tan.
Remember that you set your own tanning schedule, and it is perfectly fine to go back to the salon for weekly spray tans or to save your appointment for special occasions. If you love being tan but are not interested in regular spray tans, maintain a natural-looking glow with gradual tanning lotions and bronzers.