Tips for Applying a Fake Tan
With the summer comes those gorgeous bikinis we’ve been waiting to wear all year round, but there’s one thing that get’s in our way, the dreaded pale winter skin. But we’ve got one great way to achieve the perfect flawless look without exposing our delicate skin to the harsh Australian sun.
But spray tanning comes with it’s own challenges, especially for those who haven’t yet tried it. So we go through some of our expert tried and tested tips on how to fake tan and get the most natural look:
- Set a day and spare some time for the tanning session. You will need a minimum of 2-3 hours to self-tan. Tanning takes less than an hour but for first-timers, you should always set yourself plenty of extra time.
- Prep your skin before the spray tan. You can do this by taking a shower and bathing with an exfoliator or body scrub. Scrubbing the body beforehand will remove all dead skin cells to create an even and long-lasting tan. You should avoid using oil-based scrubs as the oil in these products act as barriers against the tanning solution being applied to the skin.
- Another important tip on how to apply a fake tan is dabbing a drop of moisturiser to the rough areas of the skin after bathing. These rough areas include the elbows, knee, cuticles, wrists, and soles. By keeping these areas soft and smooth, you will prevent the tan from building up in patches. When tanning the face, apply moisturiser to the hairline.
- Shave or wax a day before applying the fake tan. This will make your skin less sensitive to the tanning solution. Shaving after a spray tan exfoliates the tanned skin cells and fades the bronze hue.
- The right way on how to fake tan is by starting with the larger areas of the body. These include the stomach, back, and limbs. Next, focus on the neck, feet, ankles and knees. Use a towel to buff these areas if they darken too much. On the hands, mix the tanner with a body cream and massage over them.
- Apply the tanning solution with gloves so that the palms of your hands don’t turn orange! Apply in circular motions over the body.
- Never be scared of tanning your face. The best way on how to apply fake tan on the face is buying products, which are specially designed for the facial region. Facial fake tans have soft ingredients and are designed according to different skin types. You can also use a bronzing powder that matches the face to the rest of the body.
- Choosing the right tanning shade for your skin is the key to applying a good fake tan. If you have a fair complexion, use a light or medium shade rather than skipping straight to the darkest tone. This way your tan will look real. Test a patch of the tanning solution before tanning so you can see what colour turns out on your skin.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before dressing up after you have applied the tanner. This time is required for the tanning solution to absorb and not smear off on your clothes. Do not shower or get into sweaty exercises for the next 6-8 hours after applying the tanning solution.