Spray Tanning Tips: 15 Crucial Things to Remember
Heading to a professional salon for your next spray tan? Don’t leave the results up to chance. Inspired by advice from sunless tanning pros and beauty stylists to the stars, here we share our favourite 15 fake tan tips for what to do before, during and after your appointment to get a flawless tan that lasts.
Self Tanning Tips for Getting Ready
1. Use a gentle exfoliating cleanser or a salt scrub to remove dirt and polish your skin’s surface to perfection.
2. Leave your at-home tanners on the shelf the week before your appointment. While some fake tan tips recommend building a base tan, old colour can actually block your spray tan from delivering even coverage.
3. Shave or wax at least a day before you tan to prevent inflammation and colour loss.
4. Leave your skin naked the day of your appointment. From deodorants to perfumes, all types of cosmetic products are packed with chemicals that can affect your spray tan’s colour quality.
5. Go casual. Fresh spray tans can rub off on tight fabrics and leave stains on lighter clothing, so you want to wear a dark, loose-fitting outfit with plenty of breathing room.
Fake Tan Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Appointment
1. Keep your eyes, mouth and nose covered. Most salons offer free disposable accessories for clients who want extra protection from tanning chemicals.
2. Wait until your entire body is fully dry before dressing.
3. Avoid moisture. Water can instantly create streaks by washing away parts of your spray tan, so skip showering and exercising until your colour develops. In fact, while eight hours is the standard waiting period, letting your tan develop overnight before showering is one of the best self tanning tips for boosting your colour’s intensity and lifespan.
4. With the exception of organic body lotions, don’t apply any beauty products to your skin while your spray tan is still developing.
5. Watch your mouth. You don’t want to end up with a light ring around your lips from accidentally washing off your spray tan while sipping a glass of wine or brushing your teeth.
Aftercare Self Tanning Tips
1. Rinse off with a gentle body wash to avoid scrubbing off parts of your new spray tan. Since heat can speed up colour removal by softening your skin, shower with warm water.
2. Use a rich daily moisturiser to keep your skin hydrated and build a protective barrier around your colour.
3. Check your shower products for colour-stripping ingredients. Acid-based products and scrubs with microbeads are especially harsh on fake tans.
4. If you’re getting your spray tan for a beach holiday, hit the waves for a relaxing swim or enjoy cocktails from the safety of your poolside cabana. Exposing your self-tanned skin to chlorine can cause premature fading, so swimming pools are a no-go.
5. Lightly exfoliate your skin when your spray tan starts to fade. Faux colour on different areas of the body almost never fades at the same rate, so it’s up to you to even out your skin’s patchwork pattern.