December 26, 2012
How to Maintain a Good Spray Tan
Maintaining the best spray tan is not hard at all if you diligently follow a few steps and cautions. We put together a few of our favourite tips on keeping that fabulous tan for longer:
- Your spray tan will last longer if you take care before the spray tan session. You should shower and exfoliate right before your session. Avoid exfoliators with an oily base as this can cause your fake tan to easily streak. Exfoliate your body at least 3 times a week before the session if you want to prolong the life of your tan.
- Once you have showered, do not apply any products such as perfumes, deodorants, lotions or moisturisers to your skin. These products can mingle with the spray tan solution and create an uneven look.
- When you have been spray tanned, allow your tan to dry till you put your clothes on. Wait at least 15 minutes.
- Shower 8-12 hours after the spray tan session. The longer you wait the more chance it has for your formula to develop and intensify the colour.
- Never use soap or scrubs while showering after you have been spray tanned. These exfoliate the skin and fade the colour of the spray tan.
- Avoid showering for too long. You should also avoid showering with hot water.
- Achieving a best spray tan look means that after the tanning session you should avoid exfoliating your face or your body.
- Avoid shaving or waxing after the spray tan session. These remove the hair along with the upper surface of the skin that has been spray tanned. This is why you should shave or wax prior to the session.
- Apply a hydrating cream so that your spray tan remains intact. When your skin is hydrated and smooth, the tanned cells will not rub off and neither will your tan.
- Use a tanning lotion with a moisturising effect everyday to maintain your best spray tan. Using a tanning lotion daily will extend the life of your tan for up to at least 15 days. And when the tan does fade, it will fade evenly without any unwanted blotchiness.