A Guide to a Flawless Face Tan
Are you having trouble achieving that flirty and fabulous tan in certain areas like your hairline? It’s OK- it happens to the best of us. Follow these simple steps to make sure you get a flawless tan, every time.
1. Make sure your hair is completely tied back before beginning- you don’t want any stray strands to get discoloured, especially if they’re blonde. Pin back bangs and/or secure the rest of your hair with both a headband and a ponytail.
2. Add a bit of moisturiser to the tanner that you’ve been using on your body. This will lighten the mix- you don’t want your face to be too dark. Your face will go much better with the rest of your body if it doesn’t “match” it completely.
3. Start by applying the formula on your cheeks first, before moving to your chin and neck, slowly blending outwards away from the center of your face. A tanning mitt is the best way to achieve a smooth and balanced tan, but you can also use plastic or latex gloves if you don’t have one.
4. Once you get to the eyebrow area, be careful. Cover the surrounding areas lightly and evenly, but do not apply directly onto the eyebrows. To take extra precautions, spread a jelly like petroleum or vitamin D ointment onto your eyebrows before you begin the tanning treatment. This way, no colouring mix will be able to stick.
5. Next, move on to your forehead. Glide the formula there and use your fingers to evenly blend it right up to the hairline. Take care once more not to saturate the hair there. Although the formula may appear darker in this area, you don’t need to worry. As this area is generally covered (and is thus paler), the colour will stand out a bit more. Blend as well as you can- you can fix any imperfections easily with foundation or bronzer. Plus, the darker rim has a slimming and flattering effect on the face, anyway.
6. Allow the tanner to set and dry completely. Don’t fret if you do manage to accidentally get any formula, as it is water-soluble as long as you catch it before it dries. To do a little clean up and refreshing, get a clean cloth damp and gently wipe away any excess tanner.
With these steps, you’ll be on your way to a gorgeous tan in no time.