10 Tips for Younger-Looking Skin
While you can’t stop ageing altogether, there are things you can do to slow it down. From using a tanning lotion instead of tanning beds to eating foods with skin-loving ingredients, following the 10 lifestyle tips below can help you look your best at any age.
- Protect your skin from sun damage. Stay safe by using a suntan lotion with SPF30+ when outdoors and minimising the amount of time you spend in direct sunlight during peak UV periods.
- Cleanse and moisturise daily. Make-up residue, dirt and debris can make your skin appear dull and lifeless. To keep your youthful glow, use a gentle cleanser once a day on your body and twice a day on your face. For ultimate protection against wrinkles, follow up with a powerful anti-ageing moisturiser.
- Apply brightening concealer under your eyes. Dark circles can make you look years older. A good quality concealer applied sparingly under the eyes can work wonders by making you appear more alert, awake and youthful.
- Swap heavy foundation for a tinted moisturiser or BB cream. While foundation does cover imperfections, it can also accentuate fine lines and wrinkles by sinking into your skin. Lightweight foundations, on the other hand, work with your natural complexion to achieve a more radiant glow. If you feel that you need heavier coverage, you can always cover problem areas with a little concealer first.
- Get plenty of sleep. To feel and look your best, aim for eight hours of shut-eye a night.
- Get a spray tan. Forget about frying your skin in the sun – spray tanning is the easiest and healthiest way to get the colour you crave. Once you find your dream colour, keep it up by applying a tanning lotion at home in between your spray tanning appointments.
- Give up bad habits. If you’re a smoker, cut back or quit. Besides cancer and heart disease, smoking has been shown to accelerate the ageing process, notably in fine lines around the mouth. Moderate your drinking as well. Overindulgence in alcohol can lead to dehydration, dilated blood vessels, visible veins and redness.
- Eat a healthy diet. While using a high-SPF suntan lotion can protect your skin on the outside, eating nutrient-rich foods can fortify it on the inside. For healthier and younger-looking skin, up your intake of foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants, such as salmon and fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Focus on your happiness and well-being. If you’re feeling tired or stressed, your emotions will show in your face, making you appear older.
- Add a radiant glow to your face with a tanning lotion or bronzer. To accentuate your favourite features and downplay flaws, use skin illuminators, bronzing powders and tanning lotions designed specially for the face.